As the risks of COVID-19 increase we continue to follow the advice and recommendations of the Australia Govt, Department of Health and WA’s Health Department.
COVID 19 – Cleaning Procedures and Protocols
When working in a customer’s home…
- Take off your shoes before you enter a house/ wear shoe protectors / bring other shoes that have been disinfected to protect your feet with wheelchair customers.
- Wash your hands with soap as soon as you enter customers home (use soap supplied by Interchange) and avoid touching items in the house until handwashing is complete.
- Regularly wash your hands after each activity.
- Use gloves for high risk tasks and when you feel these are required.
- Wash your hands before you leave.
- If cooking ensure food is properly cooked and prepared to avoid the possible spread of infection via food.
- Clean surfaces with disinfectant (doorknobs, tables, light switches, etc.) Follow the instructions on the packaging
When working in the community…
- Before leaving the home request to wipe and clean wheelchair and other aids you will be using
- Wear gloves where needed, change regularly.
- Hand wash before and after wearing gloves, wash for 40-60seconds.
- Maintain a distance of at least 1.5m from anyone.
- Don’t touch your face or customers.
- Wash clothes and dry in the sun as soon as you get home.
When you use transport…
- Use wipes or disinfectant spray to wipe down steering wheel, door handles, seat belts etc.
- There will be concentrate disinfectant at each Neighbourhood. Bring a small spray bottle from home and make up some solution (5ml of concentrate to 1 litre of water). Use this to spray the seats before and after a customer sits in the vehicle. Alternatively provide your own, keep the receipt and we will reimburse you.
- Sit as far away from each other as possible.
- Wear gloves.
- Have tissues (if available).
- Avoid public transport.
- Do not share vehicles.
- Use paper towels to wipe the petrol pump when filling up your car.
When returning home…
- Use wipes to wipe over car steering wheel.
- Clean your car (if you’re own car keep receipt for disinfectant spray you buy, and we will reimburse you)
- Use sanitiser before entering your house or avoid touching items in your house until you have washed your hands.
- Take your shoes off at the door.
- Before hugging anyone or touching anything remove clothing and shower (if possible or wash hands).
- Repeat all hand washing protocols when at home.
If coming to an Interchange Office …
- A box will be placed inside the door of each neighbourhood which will contain gloves and hand sanitiser (where available). Only take what you need for a few days so that everyone has some.
- Use a small bottle from home to refill hand sanitiser. DO NOT TAKE THE LARGE BOTTLES.
- Only access the areas you absolutely have to.
- Avoid touching surfaces – use a wipe, paper towel or tissue to, eg turn on/off a light switch, open a door etc. Keep using the paper towel or tissue until you are outside of the office and can dispose of it in a rubbish bin.
- Wipe down any surface after use, eg desk, chair, keyboard, mouse, tea/coffee, mug and spoon.
We know that news around Coronavirus (COVID-19) is changing rapidly and this can cause uncertainty. If you have questions see this FAQ, if you don’t find the answer that you are looking for please send your question to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update this on a regular basis.
Where can I get further information?
- FAQ document will be updated regularly
- Via iChat, keep checking your emails for latest updates
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/InterchangeWA
National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080.
Department of Health:
- Up to date information about COVID-19 including the latest medical advice can be found on the Australian Department of Health website.
- The fact sheet – ‘What you need to know’ – contains information about COVID-19
World Health Organisation:
- The World Health Organisation has released an informative video – ‘How to protect yourself from COVID-19’.
Please find the PDF Version of this document here Covid19 cleaning procedures